Sunday 29 January 2012

Back to 1991

I don't know how many of you have been listening to 'Sounds of the 20th Century' over the past few months.  It is a Radio 2 show broadcast on a Thursday at 10pm, and simply plays music, news, sports reports, films etc for an hour from a particular year.  It must have started around ten months ago now since they started at 1950 and have now reached 1992.
I've enjoyed listening to it since it's nice to hear history at first hand so to speak, rather than having it already digested by an 'expert', or even worse, getting it through the memory of a member of your family.  Plus the last few have brought back my own memories of various times and places, 1991 being one of them.
This was the year that Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves came out, a film which I saw at the cinema in Edinburgh with my parents, and I absolutely loved it.  When it came out on TV I recorded it onto video and watched it so so often that the video started to get a bit crackly.
When my fiancee and I heard a clip of it the other week it was suggested that it be added to our Blockbuster list (of dvd's)...instead I went and bought it and we watched it last Friday.  I was still amazed as to how much of the dialogue I could remember, and there are so many little bits to it that are cheesy, funny, exciting and thrilling, that it's still a joy to watch.
The other most interesting thing to happen in 1991 was the 'leg over' incident between Jonathan Agnew and Brian Johnstone on TMS.  It's one of those moments that you can't help smiling or laughing at every time you hear it; it's just wonderful.  And ironically when I was in Waterstones recently I was flicking through their bargain bin and I came across a book called 'Thanks Johnners' by Jonathan Agnew, quite recently published it seems, and a lot to do with Brian Johnstone and TMS (I haven't read it yet). But the amazing thing was that it was signed by JA, and it was only 99p...a bargain I couldn't turn down.
I can't wait for 1993, the year of 'that ball' from Shane Warne, and of course Jurassic Park!

No comments:

Post a Comment