Thursday 4 February 2010

Around Town

Today I've been photographing some bits of wall.  That may sound odd to you, but there is reason behind it all.  Not hiding, ready to spring up and over it like Jack, but in the metaphorical sense...anyway...My girlfriend is doing the scenery for a production of Sweeney Todd, and wanted an idea of what London brick walls look like.  So here they are...

 
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  

I've also been around town for other reasons this week.  My new netbook has proved invaluable, as it not only allows me to get out of the house, but I can write while I'm out too.  And there are so fewer distractions than when you're in your own home.
I finally got around to visiting the Wellcome Collection on Euston Road.  A bizarre place with a collection of false limbs, a torture chair, some glass jars, phallic sculptures and a mummified corpse amongst other things.  They also have a collection of artistic sculptures based on modern medecine, amongst which you can find an eye which flicks open on a regular basis and a skeleton where the skull and the pelvis have been swapped over.
Their special exhibition at the moment explores the idea of The Self.  It does this by looking at famous diarists, actors, genetic fingerprinting, twins, sex change, phrenology, eugenics, and photography - well worth a visit.

1 comment: