Friday 9 October 2009

Books and Poetry

I've struggled with the writing for the past couple of days and so have turned my attention to other things.  On Wednesday I finally got around to getting myself a new library card.  It was so much simpler than I remember it being last time...but at least I have it now.  I got instantly excited and picked up three books, The Day Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko, Collected Short Stories by H G Wells and The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie.  I've never read any of his books before but have heard good things about them.  The opening paragraph is rather poetic.
Speaking of which, yesterday was national Poetry Day, with the naming of TS Eliot as Britain's favourite poet.  I visited the live show down on the south bank at the Royal Festival Hall, but I couldn't help feeling that it was aimed more at children and getting them enthusiastic about poetry.  There was a reading by current laureate Carol Ann Duffy which was entertaining though...so it wasn't all bad.
There was also an announcement of Global Poetry System, an opportunity for people to send in photographs of anything they see written on walls or doors, which sound poetic.  Personally I'm not enthusiastic about this idea, since it somehow gives relevance to graffiti and vandalism as something to be admired.  I don't think that poetry should be something to be kept within the confines of the white middle classes, yet somehow it has to have a deeper cultural meaning than something scribbled on a toilet door about a prostitute and someone you don't like at school?  Maybe I'm old before my time.
I haven't been completely idle though.  I came across an interesting website called Ladder Writers and have drafted a short story to submit.  I have also written a poem this morning Words.
I am also excited since my girlfriend arrives tomorrow from Sweden for a week, so there may not be much creativity for a little while, cleaning and tidying to do instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment